Creamy chorizo spaghetti with poached eggs
- April 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Try this twist on a carbonara for a quick weeknight meal. We’ve stirred cream cheese and chorizo through spaghetti and topped it all with a poached egg. Heaven.
- 27.1g (12g saturated)
- 61.1g (5.5g sugars)
- 360g wholewheat spaghetti
- 120g diced chorizo
- 180g pack of full-fat cream cheese
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnishing
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Bring 2 large pans of water to the boil. Cook the spaghetti in one pan of boiling water until just al dente (2 minutes less than the pack cooking instructions), then drain, reserving 200ml of the cooking water.
- Fry 120g diced chorizo in a frying pan until crisp, then stir in a the cream cheese, the cooked spaghetti and reserved cooking water with a generous grind of black pepper.
- Toss everything together over a medium heat until glossy (2-3 minutes). Stir in a handful of chopped fresh parsley, some salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, reduce the second pan of water to a simmer, swirl it with a spoon and poach 4 eggs for 3-4 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Dry on kitchen paper.
- Divide the spaghetti among 4 warmed serving bowls and top each with a poached egg, black pepper and a little extra parsley.
In this take on a classic carbonara you can replace the chorizo with cubed pancetta or, if you like a spicy kick, drizzle over a little chilli oil just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter