- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- The leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 750g pork loin, cubed
- A knob of butter
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml chicken stock
- 100ml double cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- Mash and greens, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic and the leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs. Cook for a few minutes, then transfer to a 1.2-litre ovenproof dish.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and brown the pork loin for a few minutes, then add to the dish. Melt a knob of butter in the pan and cook the chestnut mushrooms for a few minutes. Add to the pork and onions and mix with the plain flour.
- In a jug, mix the chicken stock with the double cream and the lemon zest. Season well and pour into the dish.
- Unroll the ready-rolled puff pastry and place on top of the dish. Trim the edges and use the pastry trimmings to decorate the top of the pie. Brush with milk and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Serve with mash and greens.
- To freeze: Open-freeze the uncooked pie. Once solid, wrap well and freeze for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen, allowing an extra 20 minutes’ cooking time, until the filling is piping hot.