Crispy croquettes with a cooling cucumber dip
- September 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
These crispy vegetarian croquettes are served with a cooling cucumber dip and are perfect finger food.
- 27g (11.8g saturated)
- 25.5g (6.5g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A knob of butter
- 1 large onion
- 2 large crushed garlic cloves
- 200g chopped leek
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp beer (such as Badger Organic Dandelion ale)
- 100g finely grated mature Cheddar
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the raita dip
- ½ cucumber
- 200g Greek yogurt
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- A handful of chopped fresh mint leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter in a frying pan over a low heat. Finely chop 1 large onion and fry with 2 large crushed garlic cloves for 5 minutes until softened. Increase the heat to medium, add 200g chopped leek to the pan with ½ tsp chilli flakes and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Remove to a large bowl and cool.
- Meanwhile, make the raita dip: grate ½ cucumber and mix with 200g Greek yogurt, 1 crushed garlic clove and a handful of chopped fresh mint leaves. Season and set aside. Stir 100g fresh white breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp beer (such as Badger Organic Dandelion ale) and 100g finely grated mature Cheddar through the cooled onion mix. Separate 1 large free-range egg, add the yolk to the bowl, season and mix well. Shape into 12 walnut-size croquettes. Dip each one first in the egg white, then roll in fresh white breadcrumbs (about 25g) to coat. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the croquettes for about 6 minutes, turning now and then, until golden, crisp and piping hot. Serve with a crisp green salad and the raita on the side.
You can freeze the raw croquettes for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pickled pepper and sherry croquetas
Serve these vegetarian croquetas as part of a Spanish tapas menu or sharing platter.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...