Double baked chocolate meringue brownie
- May 2013
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 25 minutes, cooking time 1 hour 15 minutes
The two contrasting layers in Eric Lanlard’s recipe – one gooey and rich and the other crunchy with a marshmallow centre – makes one incredible dessert.
- 41.3g (24.5g saturated)
- 82.9g (82.5g sugars)
For the brownie
- 250g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 250g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 300g light muscovado sugar
- 5 large free-range eggs, separated
For the chocolate meringue
- 4 large free-range egg whites
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (we like Nielsen-Massey)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 50g pure cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 22cm diameter springform cake tin with baking paper, ensuring it comes at least 5cm above the rim.
- To make the brownie, melt the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure the surface of the water does not touch the bowl. Add the muscovado sugar, stirring until
- it has completely dissolved. Remove the bowl from the heat, then stir in the egg yolks.
- In a clean and dry bowl, whisk the 5 egg whites to soft peaks. Fold a couple of tablespoons of the whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remaining whites using a rubber spatula. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, then bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the meringue. In a large, clean and dry bowl, whisk the 4 egg whites to stiff peaks, adding the golden caster sugar a little at a time. Add the vanilla extract. Sift the cornflour and cocoa powder together, then fold into the meringue until even and glossy.
- Remove the chocolate brownie from the oven, then cover the top with the meringue. Return to the oven for a further 25 minutes or until the meringue puffs up and a crust forms on the top, but the centre is still soft. Leave to cool in the tin (the middle will collapse slightly). Serve warm.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
The triple-choc brownies are so easy to prepare, and a great idea to give as...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...