Elderflower fool with poached gooseberries
- June 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 8 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Use our elderflower cordial recipe, or a shop-bought one, to make this summer dessert – the perfect marriage of sweet and sharp.
Looking for something else? We’ve got lots more elderflower recipes for you to try.
- 40.5g (25.1g saturated)
- 29.6g (30.3g sugar)
- 135ml chilled elderflower cordial
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 300ml chilled double cream
For the poached gooseberries:
- 250g gooseberries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 90ml elderflower cordial
- First poach the gooseberries: put them in a heavy-based saucepan with the sugar and cordial, then place over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and cook for about 4 minutes until the gooseberries are tender but still hold their shape. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- To make the fool, put the cordial, lemon juice and double cream in a large bowl and whisk until the mixture will just hold a soft peak. Spoon the gooseberries into 4 glasses, followed by some fool, then repeat. Chill them until you’re ready to serve, but leave them no longer than an hour or the fools will begin to separate.
Rate & review