- June 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, plus cooling and chilling
An extra quick fool recipe made with gooseberries, elderflower cream, amaretti biscuits and ready-made meringues.
See our similar gooseberry and elderflower fool recipe for an alternative.
- 57.6g (33.5g saturated)
- 39.8g (36.3g sugar)
- 400g gooseberries
- 25-50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 400ml double cream
- 3 tbsp ready-made vanilla custard
- 50g amaretti biscuits, roughly crushed
- 2 meringue nests, crushed (optional)
- Put the gooseberries and sugar in a pan and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat, crush and cool.
- Meanwhile, pour the elderflower cordial, lemon juice and double cream into a bowl and whisk to medium peaks. Fold through the custard and amaretti biscuits.
- Fold half the gooseberries into the cream mixture. Spoon half the cream mixture into 4 glasses. Layer the remaining gooseberries, then top with the remaining cream mixture. Scatter with meringue, if using, and chill until ready to serve.
The amount of caster sugar you’ll need will depend on the tartness of your gooseberries, and how sweet you like your fool to be.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Strawberry, elderflower and prosecco cream jellies
Make the most of seasonal summer strawberries with this decadent jelly recipe. Elderflower works so...