Gluten-free scone muffins
- Online only
- Makes 12 scones
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 25 min
Masterchef 2016 winner, Jane Devonshire, created this gluten-free scone recipe for Breast Cancer Care’s Afternoon Tea Campaign. She said: “These taste exactly like scones but, because they are gluten-free, the mix is much wetter so you can’t roll the dough out like the ordinary recipe. I cook them in muffin cases, wait for them to cool then cut them in half and serve them exactly like a scone.”
- Gluten-free recipes
- 450g gluten-free plain flour
- 80g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 4 tsp caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated, plus 1 whole egg, lightly beaten, for glazing
- 2 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- 200ml whole milk
You will also need
- 12-hole muffin tin
- 12 muffin cases
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Separate the eggs and put the whites into a large mixing bowl. In another bowl sift the flour, add the sugar, salt and cubed butter to the flour. Using your fingertips lightly work the butter into the flour until a bread crumb like texture is achieved. Add the egg yolks, baking powder and using a wooden spoon or spatula lightly mix in and then slowly add milk.
- Put the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and whisk to stiff peaks using an electric handheld whisk. A tablespoon at a time, add the flour mixture into the beaten egg white and continue whisking until all flour mixture combined into the egg white. Take your time to make sure no lumps.
- Fill the muffin cases with the mixture (about 11/2 tablespoon of mixture to each muffin case. Mix the spare egg with a fork and using a pastry brush put the egg on the top of the muffins to glaze them, using this opportunity to smooth the top of the mixture flat.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes (they are a little paler than normal muffins). Allow to cool on a wire rack. When ready to serve, remove from the muffin cases. Slice in half and smother with strawberry jam and Clotted or whipped cream.
To have your own Afternoon Tea for Breast Cancer Care, sign up for your free fundraising kit at breastcancercare.org.uk/afternoontea.
Rate & review