Gouda rye crackers
- April 2017
- Makes 20
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 45 min, plus cooling
Crunchy rye crackers make a lovely addition to any dinner party cheeseboard, plus their perfect for scooping up dips or pâté.
- 2.8g (1.6g saturated)
- 8.4g (0.3g sugars)
- 0.3g salt
- 230g rye flour, sifted, plus extra to dust
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten with 125ml water
- 150g goat’s milk gouda, grated (from Ocado, Waitrose)
- Heat the oven to 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1 and line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Beat the egg mixture into the dry mixture, then stir in most of the the cheese, setting aside a handful.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, roll out to 2mm thick, or as thin as you can, then scatter with the remaining cheese. Roll again, then cut into large shards.
- Carefully lift the crackers onto the baking sheet using a metal spatula, then roll again briefly to flatten. Bake for 45 minutes, turning halfway, until crisp and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cheddar works well too. Or if you don’t like cheese, add a touch more salt in step 1.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...