Healthier chicken casserole with tarragon dumplings
- February 2017
- Serve 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 40 min
The tarragon dumplings which top this easy chicken casserole are made with yogurt, instead of suet, making them wonderfully light.
- 16.1g (4.2g saturated)
- 37.8g (7.4g sugars)
See Wine Match
- 175g self-raising flour
- 6 free-range skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 banana shallots, chopped
- 250g carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 3½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 20g fresh tarragon, chopped
- 100g greek yogurt
- Put 25g of the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Dust the chicken in the flour. Heat a glug of oil in a frying pan, fry the chicken over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes to brown, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the shallots, carrots and a glug of oil in a flameproof casserole. Fry for 8 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the stock and 150ml water, bring to a simmer, then stir in 2½ tbsp of the mustard. Add the chicken and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the remaining flour and most of the tarragon in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt. Mix the yogurt with the rest of the mustard in a small bowl, then stir into the flour mix. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and gently roll into balls. Stir the remaining tarragon into the stew, then arrange the dumplings over the surface. Cover and cook for 20 minutes more or until the dumplings are light and fluffy.
Make to the end of step 2 the day before and chill. Reheat for 5 minutes, then add the dumplings and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
We’ve swapped traditional suet for yogurt, giving a lighter, softer dumpling.
What's the perfect wine match?
Our friends at Majestic Wine recommend Making Track viognier. This luxurious Viognier reaches decadent levels of flavour in sun-dappled South Australia. Its peach and apricot notes will seamlessly cut though the creamy tarragon sauce and mustard heat.
Use promo code DELICIOUS to get £10 off your order when you spend £40 or more.See all Viognier
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Farmhouse chicken casserole with carrots, leeks and potato
This creamy chicken casserole is made with potatoes, carrots, leeks and fresh herbs for a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...