Healthier chocolate chip cookies
- June 2014
- Makes 12-16
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 6-8 min
Our healthier recipe of this favourite tea time treat uses sugar alternatives and is low in saturated fat. You could add one of these biscuits to a post-party goody bag for kids, too.
Traditional version (28g)
134kcals, 7.2g fat (4.5g saturated), 1.5g protein, 16.5g carbs (10.5g sugars), 0.8g salt 0.6g fibre
delicious. makeover (28g)
113kcals, 5.2g fat (1.7g saturated), 1.8g protein, 15.2g carbs (7.8g sugars), 0.7g salt 0.6g fibre
- 30g agave nectar (see Know-how)
- 50g palmyra jaggery (see Know-how)
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 65ml olive oil
- 150g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g dark chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4 and line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a bowl, beat together the agave, jaggery, egg and oil until combined. Fold in the remaining ingredients with a pinch of salt until combined.
- Spoon 12-16 heaped tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets at 5cm intervals. Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden and almost firm to touch, then lift the baking paper and cookies onto a wire rack to cool.
Layer the cookies in an airtight container between sheets of baking paper, then store in a cool place for up to a week. Or freeze the raw dough in ice cube trays, sealed in freezer bags, for up to 3 months. Turn out onto a lined baking sheet and bake from frozen for 8-10 minutes.
Agave nectar (or agave syrup) is a natural sweetener made from the agave plant. It’s sweeter than sugar, so you need less.
Palmyra jaggery is a rich caramel-flavoured sugar alternative made from the sap of the palmyra palm tree. It has a low GI and calorie content, but it’s a rich source of vitamins. Find it in health food shops and at consciousfood.co.uk.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...