Healthier club sandwich
- July 2012
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
We’ve halved the fat and slashed the calories of this classic hunger stopper, while keeping the satisfaction suitably double-deckered.
- 19.8g (4.7g saturated)
- 48.4g (6g sugars)
- 1 (about 150g) British turkey escalope
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 4 rashers unsmoked British back bacon, trimmed of fat
- 6 wholemeal bread slices
- 3 tbsp half-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard, or to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Handful of wild rocket
- Preheat the grill to high. Brush the turkey escalope with the olive oil and put on a rack, with the bacon rashers, over a lined baking tray. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side until the turkey is cooked through, removing the bacon rashers once crisp. Set aside.
- Once cool enough to handle, using a sharp knife, carve the turkey escalope horizontally, at a slight angle, to give 4 thin slices. Set aside with the bacon. Combine the mayonnaise with the wholegrain mustard.
- Toast the bread until golden. Spread 4 slices with the mustard mayonnaise, then top 2 of them with the turkey and rocket. Top these with the other 2 slices of toast, mayonnaise upwards, then add layers of crispy bacon and sliced fresh tomato. Finish off each sandwich with the remaining 2 pieces of toast and secure with cocktail sticks.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally into halves and serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter