The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich
- January 2020
- Makes 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
Is this THE ultimate grilled cheese sandwich? We certainly think so: thick white bread, double butter and triple cheese pressed to perfection. Comfort food at its finest.
Or how about our eggy-bread toastie hybrid: the egg-bread grilled cheese sandwich?
- 38.4g (20.1g saturated)
- 46.5g (2.9g sugars)
- 2 crusty white bread slices
- Butter for spreading, softened
- 25g cheddar, very thinly sliced
- 25 gruyère, very thinly sliced (see tip)
- 25g cooking mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Splash olive oil for frying
- Gherkins and pickle/chutney to serve
You’ll also need…
- Large, heavy-based sauté pan (with a lid); large flat spatula or fish slice
- Lightly toast the bread, then cool slightly. Spread butter on both sides of each slice, then divide the cheeses between them.
- Heat a splash of oil in the pan over a medium heat. Add both slices of bread, cheese-side up, then cover with the lid to help the cheese start to melt.
- After 2 minutes, remove the lid and continue frying until the underside of the bread is golden and the cheese looks melty. Carefully and quickly sandwich the 2 slices together so all the cheeses are in the middle, then gently press down with a spatula/fish slice and continue cooking until the cheese has melted and the bread is deep golden – it’s best to turn the sandwich every minute or so.
- Slice, then serve straightaway with gherkins and pickle/chutney.
To make a vegetarian version, use Emmental instead of gruyère (and check the other cheeses).
Add a layer of sliced gherkins or a slick of sharp chutney, or keep it retro with tomato ketchup.
Rate & review