The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich
- January 2020
- Makes 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
Is this THE ultimate grilled cheese sandwich? We certainly think so: thick white bread, double butter and triple cheese pressed to perfection. Comfort food at its finest.
Or how about our eggy-bread toastie hybrid: the egg-bread grilled cheese sandwich?
- 38.4g (20.1g saturated)
- 46.5g (2.9g sugars)
- 2 crusty white bread slices
- Butter for spreading, softened
- 25g cheddar, very thinly sliced
- 25 gruyère, very thinly sliced (see tip)
- 25g cooking mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Splash olive oil for frying
- Gherkins and pickle/chutney to serve
You’ll also need…
- Large, heavy-based sauté pan (with a lid); large flat spatula or fish slice
- Lightly toast the bread, then cool slightly. Spread butter on both sides of each slice, then divide the cheeses between them.
- Heat a splash of oil in the pan over a medium heat. Add both slices of bread, cheese-side up, then cover with the lid to help the cheese start to melt.
- After 2 minutes, remove the lid and continue frying until the underside of the bread is golden and the cheese looks melty. Carefully and quickly sandwich the 2 slices together so all the cheeses are in the middle, then gently press down with a spatula/fish slice and continue cooking until the cheese has melted and the bread is deep golden – it’s best to turn the sandwich every minute or so.
- Slice, then serve straightaway with gherkins and pickle/chutney.
To make a vegetarian version, use Emmental instead of gruyère (and check the other cheeses).
Add a layer of sliced gherkins or a slick of sharp chutney, or keep it retro with tomato ketchup.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...