Hot cross scones
- April 2008
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 min to make and 15 min to bake
This hot cross scones recipe combines the moist, crumbly texture of homemade scones with the fruity, spicy flavours of hot cross buns. Quick, easy, and scrumptious.
For lovers of the classic hot cross bun, here’s our simple hot cross buns recipe.
- 9.3g (5.3g saturated)
- 46.2g (19.5 sugar)
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra
- for dusting
- 75g butter, softened
- 40g light muscovado sugar
- 75g small sultanas
- 50g cut mixed peel
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp buttermilk or 4 tbsp milk, plus extra for brushing
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ fan200°C/ gas 7. Sift the self-raising flour into a large bowl; rub in the butter with your fingertips. Stir in the muscovado sugar, sultanas, peel and spice.
- In a jug, beat together the egg, buttermilk and a pinch of salt. Pour into the flour mixture and bring together to make a soft dough.
- Lightly dust a work surface with extra flour, then roll out the dough to no thinner than 2cm. Using a 4cm cutter, stamp out the rounds – try not to twist the cutter, as this makes the scones rise unevenly. Re-roll the trimmings and stamp out more. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet.
- Make the crosses. Mix together the plain flour and 1-2 tablespoons of water and knead to make a smooth dough. Roll out, cut into thin strips and put a cross on top of each scone. Brush with milk, then bake for 15 minutes, until well risen and golden.
- For the glaze, dissolve the sugar in 2 tablespoons boiling water. Use to brush the tops of the scones as soon as they come out of the oven. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Eat while warm, or split and toast the next day and serve with a smudge of butter.
Swap a few pieces of finely chopped stem ginger in syrup for the chopped peel, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...