Hot cross bun brownies
- March 2016
- Makes 16-25
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 35-40 min, plus cooling and chilling overnight
Paul A Young puts chunks of hot cross bun to mouthwatering use by combining them with chocolate and nutmeg in these gooey chocolate brownies. Make his epic hot cross bun brownies for friends and family over the Easter weekend, or make this recipe to use up leftover hot cross buns once Easter is over.
Can’t get enough of chocolate at Easter? How about these chocolate and orange hot cross buns?
- 10.7g (6.3g saturated)
- 25.8g (22.4g sugars)
- 175g salted butter
- 80g golden syrup
- 280g golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 320g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped into small pieces
- 4 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 70g plain flour
- 2-3 hot cross buns, split, toasted and cooled
You’ll also need…
- 20cm square cake tin
- Melt the butter and syrup in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sugar and spices, then simmer for 3-4 minutes until dissolved. Take off the heat, add the chocolate and mix with a wooden spoon. Add the beaten egg and mix in until smooth. Finally, add the flour and beat until incorporated.
- Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper. Tear the toasted hot cross buns into rough 2cm square pieces and scatter them into the tin.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Spoon the brownie mix into the tin and allow to stand for 15 minutes so the mix settles over and into the buns.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until gently set and wobbly in the middle. Don’t be tempted to leave the brownies in the oven longer than the cooking time as they’ll become dry.
- Allow to cool, then chill overnight. The next day, turn out, remove the baking paper and trim the edges (for nibbling!). Turn the right way up and cut into squares to serve. A knife dipped in hot water will make this much easier.
If you’re not making the brownies for Easter, try substituting the hot cross bun with pieces of honeycomb, biscuit or pretzel and leave out the spices.
You could pipe melted white chocolate crosses over each brownie to creative a festive hot cross bun appearance.
These will keep for 2 weeks, chilled in an airtight container. Eat at room temperature.
Rate & review