Hot dog wraps with fiery onion relish
- August 2004
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 35 mins
Hot dogs are a fantastic treat in the summer. The fiery, flavour-packed onion relish gives this recipe a sophisticated edge.
For something a bit more traditional, check out this frankfurter roll with new potato and bierwurst salad.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 19g (0.6g saturated)
- 47g (12.1g sugars)
- 6 giant hot dogs (loose or canned)
- 6 Lebanese flatbreads or flour tortillas
- Squirty yellow mustard (optional)
- Watercress, to serve
For the relish
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Large pinch crushed chilli flakes
- Begin by making the relish, as it can be served warm or cold. Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan and cook the onions for 10 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Stir in the garlic and seeds and cook for 1 minute more. Add the sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, vinegar and chilli and bubble for 5 minutes until the liquid evaporates.
- Heat the hot dogs according to the packet instructions. Heat a large non-stick griddle or frying pan, and toast the flatbreads in batches, turning until golden and crisp. Put a hot dog, squirt of mustard (if using) and some relish on each, fold up and scatter with some watercress. Serve with paper napkins.
Good hot dogs are often let down by the airy, bland roll they’re served in; wrapping them in flatbread is a great alternative.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...