Green farro salad
- May 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min
This seasonal salad recipe features asparagus and radishes; the perfect starter for your next spring dinner party. If you’ve not used farro before, it’s a wholegrain, not dissimilar to wheat or barley.
- 27.4g (9.8g saturated)
- 52.9g (14.9g sugars)
- 250g quick-cook farro (see Know-how)
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 450g asparagus spears
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for griddling
- 100g radishes, halved
- 2 red chicory, quartered
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 100g rocket
- Small bunch chives
- Large bunch fresh mint
- 150g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 100g serrano ham, torn into strips
- Aleppo chilli to serve (optional, from supermarket world food aisles and online at amazon.co.uk)
- Put the farro in a pan and pour over the chicken stock to cover. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until tender. Take off the heat, cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the asparagus in a colander and pour over a full kettle of boiling water. Heat a griddle pan with a little oil. Put the radishes, asparagus and chicory into a mixing bowl, drizzle over 1 tbsp balsamic glaze and toss to coat. Cook on the hot griddle for 5-8 minutes on each side until tender (you may need to do this in batches). Remove the vegetables as they soften and cook (the asparagus will take the longest).
- Make a dressing by whisking the rest of the glaze with the lemon juice, mustard and honey in a small bowl, then slowly whisk in the 4 tbsp oil until thick. Taste and season.
- Stir the grilled veg through the warm farro, then add the rocket, fresh herbs, goat’s cheese and ham. Drizzle over the dressing, then sprinkle with chilli (if using) to serve.
Make this vegetarian by using bagel croutons instead of ham, and vegetable stock.
Farro is the name given to any of three ancient grains popular in Italy – einkorn, emmer or spelt. Quick-cook farro is easier to use than wholegrain, which needs soaking and long cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Courgette and farro summer soup
The courgette and farro soup recipe is easy and delicious, and makes the most of...
Farro, mushrooms and tomatoes
Try this simple autumnal salad recipe made with filling farro, ripe plum tomatoes and button...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...