Jewelled mince pies with tahini pastry
- December 2018
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 45 min, oven time 15-18 min, plus chilling
Add a Middle Eastern twist to your mince pies with this recipe. We’ve added pomegranate, figs and pistachios to the mincemeat filling and tahini to the pastry.
- 10.8g (4g saturated)
- 27.5g (14.8g sugars)
Per mince pie
For the pastry
- 180g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 75g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1large free-range egg yolk
- 3 tbsp tahini
For the mincemeat
- 200g mincemeat (see tip)
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3 dried apricots, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 2 dried figs, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted in a dry pan, to garnish
You’ll also need…
- 12-hole muffin tin
- Sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingers. Quickly stir in the sugar, egg yolk and tahini with
a round-bladed knife. Add 1-2 tbsp cold water, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together to make a dough. Form into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix together all the mincemeat ingredients except the sesame seeds, then cover until needed.
- Use scales to weigh out 12 equal pieces of dough. With your fingers, press the dough into each hole of the muffin tin, working it about 3cm up the side of each hole to make rustic pastry cases. Spoon in the mincemeat mixture, then chill for a further 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Bake the pies for 15-18 minutes, turning the tin halfway through if one side is browning too quickly. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then use a palette knife to transfer the pies to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with extra chopped apricots, pistachios and the sesame seeds to serve.
Use this quick mincemeat recipe or use your favourite shop-bought jar.
Once cool, keep the mince pies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Tahini adds a sweet/savoury nutty edge to the pastry and makes it beautifully crumbly.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter