Lentil and roasted vegetable salad with buttermilk dressing
- May 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 35-40 min
Make the most of seasonal spring produce in a hearty vegetarian salad paired with a dreamy, creamy buttermilk dressing.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 14g (4.1g saturated)
- 33.3g (7.2g sugars)
- 250g dried puy lentils
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced lengthways through the root into 8 wedges
- 2 red onions, sliced through the root into quarters
- Olive oil for roasting
- 2 rye bread slices, roughly torn
- 200g watermelon radishes, quartered. Or use whole breakfast radishes
- 100g rocket
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Lemon juice to serve (optional)
For the dressing
- 200ml buttermilk
- 50g dolcelatte
- 1-2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- Bunch chives, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the lentils in a saucepan and pour over the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender, then drain and set aside. Add an extra 50ml water if the lentils start to dry out before they’re tender.
- Meanwhile, put the fennel and onions on a large roasting tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven. Add the rye bread and radishes, then toss everything together. Roast for 5-10 minutes more until the bread is crisp and the radishes have a little colour but are still crunchy.
- Put all the dressing ingredients except the chives in a mini food processor and whizz until smooth, then stir in half the chives.
- In a serving bowl, toss the warm lentils, roasted veg and rye bread with the salad dressing. To serve, gently mix in the rocket and avocados, garnish with the remaining chives and serve straightaway (with a squeeze of lemon juice if you like).
Make the dressing, without the chives, up to 48 hours in advance. Keep covered in the fridge, adding the chives just before serving.
Watermelon radishes are a kind of daikon with a beautiful pink-purple colour. They’re available all year round from Ocado and Natoora.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy salad recipes
New potatoes, king prawns and chorizo with tomato and chilli
Clever time-saving ingredients makes this prawn recipe a great midweek meal option.
Healthy salad recipes
Pickled cucumber, fennel, gooseberry, tarragon and lemon salad
Sharp, sweet, crunchy and fresh – Gill Meller’s quick pickled cucumber salad is the perfect...