Limoncello and blueberry scones
- May 2019
- Makes 8
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 12-15 min
Not sure whether the jam or the cream comes first? Avoid the issue completely with our limoncello and blueberry scones.
- 26.4g (16.8g saturated)
- 29.3g (7.9g sugars)
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 50g unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 110ml whole milk
- 300ml extra-thick double cream
- 2 tbsp limoncello
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
- Fresh blueberries to serve
You’ll also need…
- 5cm fluted or plain cutter
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the flour in a mixing bowl with the lemon zest and a large pinch of salt, add the butter, then use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Using a round-bladed table knife, stir in the sugar, then make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Mix together using the knife to make a wet, sticky dough.
- Lightly flour the work surface, then tip out the dough and lightly knead a few times until smooth. Roll out the dough until roughly 2.5cm thick.
- Flour the cutter well, then stamp out scones, gently re-rolling the dough and repeating until all the dough has been used up. Transfer the scones to a baking sheet, dust lightly with flour, then bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool.
- Put the cream in a bowl with the limoncello, then whip to soft peaks. Gently ripple the lemon curd through the mixture. Serve the scones split in half, topped with the cream and a few blueberries.
Be sure not to overwork the dough. And don’t twist the cutter when you stamp out the scones or they won’t rise evenly as they bake
Scones are best on the day they’re made, but they freeze well. Cool, then freeze in bags for up to 1 month. Defrost, then warm in the oven just before serving to freshen them up.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Apricot, cranberry and almond whipped cream scones
These wonderfully light scones are made with whipped cream, honey, dried apricots and cranberry for...