Stilton and walnut scones
- January 2009
- Makes 8
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 15-20 mins cooking time
These scones are delicious served with soup or on their own as an afternoon treat.
- 19.7g (7.7g saturated)
- 25.2g (1.8g sugars)
- 250g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g cold butter, diced
- 175ml buttermilk
- 125g Stilton, cut into 1cm cubes
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Place the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter, then using your fingertips, rub into the flour. Stir in the buttermilk, cheese and walnuts and very lightly knead to make a soft dough.
- Roll out into a large sausage, then cut into 8 rough rounds. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet, dust with flour and bake for 15–20 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Serve warm with the soup.
These scones are great served with this potato and Stilton soup recipe.
Rate & review