- May 2011
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
Need a traditional scone recipe? These classic fluffy scones smothered in jam and cream – what’s not to love?
- 6.3g (3.9g saturated)
- 24.5g (3g sugar)
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 150ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until it forms fine crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the crumbs and pour in the milk. Using a palette or table knife, quickly bring the mixture together into a soft dough. Knead briefly on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then pat out to a thickness of 2cm.
- Dust a 5cm plain metal cutter with flour and use to stamp out rounds. Push the cutter down firmly but take care not to twist it, or the scones may rise unevenly.
- Transfer the scones to a non-stick baking sheet, dust lightly with flour and bake for 15 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
Rate & review