- May 2011
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
These traditional scones are quick, easy and use just three ingredients. Serve with jam and cream for afternoon tea or a Mother’s Day treat.
Or, take your scones to the next level with these pistachio and rosewater scones, made with buttermilk.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.3g (3.9g saturated)
- 24.5g (3g sugar)
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 150ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until it forms fine crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the crumbs and pour in the milk. Using a palette or table knife, quickly bring the mixture together into a soft dough. Knead briefly on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then pat out to a thickness of 2cm.
- Dust a 5cm plain metal cutter with flour and use to stamp out rounds. Push the cutter down firmly but take care not to twist it, or the scones may rise unevenly.
- Transfer the scones to a non-stick baking sheet, dust lightly with flour and bake for 15 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...