- March 2009
- For 2 people
- Under half an hour
This cheap and easy recipe for macaroni carbonara is indispensable. It’s a delicious spur-of-the-moment meal that can be conjured up from ingredients most people nearly always have in the house.
- 225g any supermarket macaroni
- A little oil
- 110g streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
- Before you cook the macaroni, have ready a large mixing bowl, which should be heated in a medium oven (180°C/gas 4). Then place the macaroni in a saucepan of briskly boiling water to which salt and a few drops of oil have been added. Cook it without a lid, according to the instructions on the packet (about 12 minutes).
- While that’s happening, melt a little oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon – not crisply, just until the fat starts to run. Also break the eggs into a bowl, season them, add the Parmesan cheese and beat with a fork.
- Now put 2 plates in the oven to warm, then drain the cooked macaroni in a colander, whip the hot bowl out of the oven and tip the macaroni into it. Quickly add the bacon, followed by the beaten eggs – and stir it all around speedily and deftly. Continue stirring and the eggs will soon cook and turn slightly granular from the heat of the bowl. Serve on to warmed plates with a knob of butter on each serving and have some extra grated Parmesan cheese on the table to sprinkle over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter