Summer fruit pavlova
- August 2011
- Serves 14
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 2 hours 35 minutes to cook, plus cooling
There’s nothing like a classic pavlova recipe for dessert. This one is loaded with summer fruits while the meringue is taken to another level with toasted hazelnuts.
Autumn? Can’t get hold of fresh soft fruit? How about a banana, peanut butter and caramel version instead?
- 15.8g (8.5g saturated)
- 33.4g (31.6g sugars)
- 6 large free-range egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g blanched toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp runny honey
- 4 nectarines or peaches, stoned and sliced into wedges
- 7-8 fresh lemon thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- 150ml dessert wine, such as Sauternes
- 350ml double cream
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar
- 150g raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/fan100°C/gas ½. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper and draw a 26cm circle in the centre.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until they form stiff peaks, then, still whisking continuously, gradually add the caster sugar. Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk for 5 minutes until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Carefully fold in the vanilla extract and chopped hazelnuts.
- Spoon the meringue onto the baking paper, piling it inside the circle. Make an indentation in the centre with the back of the spoon. Bake in the oven for 2½ hours. Turn the oven off and leave the meringue inside until completely cool.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then add the honey, nectarines and lemon thyme. Cook for 30 seconds, then turn the fruit and pour in the wine. Bubble until the nectarines are cooked but not falling apart and the juices are syrupy. Remove to a dish and allow to cool.
- Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks, then whisk in the icing sugar. Pile the cream into the centre of the meringue, then spoon over the nectarines and scatter with the raspberries and some lemon thyme sprigs. Drizzle with the syrup from the nectarines, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...