Marinated courgette salad with smoked mozzarella and hazelnuts
- July 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20 min
Courgette steals the show in this summery recipe – with mozzarella and slices of sourdough this vegetarian salad is filling enough for dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 31g (8.7g saturated)
- 53.9g (16.8g sugars)
- 50g blanched hazelnuts
- 2kg courgettes, finely sliced on a mandoline or peeled into strips
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- Small bunch fresh mint, finely chopped, plus extra to scatter
- Handful fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tsp aleppo chilli flakes (or a pinch of regular chilli flakes)
- 1 whole garlic clove, plus ½ garlic clove, crushed
- Knob of unsalted butter
- 2 small red onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- Small radicchio, shredded
- 8 sourdough bread slices
- 100g smoked mozzarella (from Italian delis or natoora.co.uk) or buffalo mozzarella, torn
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Bake the hazelnuts on a baking tray for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool, then chop. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the courgettes, olive oil, vinegar, herbs, chilli and crushed garlic. Cover and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions with the sugar for 8-10 minutes until caramelised, add the radicchio for 1-2 minutes, then take off the heat.
- Heat the grill to high. Toast the bread under the grill, turning once. Cut the tip off the garlic clove and lightly rub one side of the toast with it, then drizzle them with a little oil.
- Stir the onion and radicchio mix into the courgette mixture. Arrange on a platter, scatter over the hazelnuts, mozzarella and extra mint, then serve with the toast.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tomato, aubergine, courgette and mozzarella tagliatelle
Eat in Italian style with this easy vegetarian pasta recipe with seasonal vegetables. This can...
Friday night dinners
Pasta with sausages, fennel seed and mozzarella ragù
This cumberland sausage and mozzarella ragù from Debbie Major takes inspiration from the spicy Italian...