Curried celeriac, red cabbage, pear and walnut coleslaw
- December 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min
”Crunchy, soft, sweet and subtly spiced, this coleslaw recipe delivers layers of texture and flavour. It would go particularly well with Boxing Day leftovers of cold meats.” – Lucas Hollweg
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 15.8g (1.5g saturated)
- 16.3g (15.5g sugars)
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 6 tbsp natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 200g celeriac, peeled
- 2 large ripe but firm pears
- 300g red cabbage
- 3 tbsp sultanas
- 2 handfuls chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cornichons or dill pickles
- 2 handfuls fresh parsley, chopped
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard, curry powder, mayonnaise and yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped shallots, 1 tsp salt and a few grinds of black pepper, then whisk again.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut the celeriac into matchstick-size strips and toss with the dressing to stop them browning. Cut the pears into matchsticks (leave the skin on) and stir into the celeriac. Cut the hard core from the cabbage and discard, then finely shred the leaves and add to the bowl. Stir in the sultanas, walnuts and cornichons, then cover and chill until needed.
- To serve, stir in all but a few pinches of the chopped parsley and scatter the rest over the top.
Make the dressing up to 24 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review