- October 2010
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook
This Moroccan-style tagine recipe is a one pot wonder, infused with exotic spices and easily cooked on the hob.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 12g (2.2g saturated)
- 30.4g (19.2g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 free-range chicken thighs on the bone, seasoned
- 2 red onions, sliced into wedges held together at the root end
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 350ml chicken stock, hot
- 2 preserved lemons, skin finely sliced, flesh discarded
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 200g soft dried apricots
- Handful of blanched almonds
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Small handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown all over. Remove to a bowl, then tip out and discard the excess fat from the casserole, leaving 1 tbsp. Lower the heat, add the onion and garlic, then cook for 10 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the spices, increase the heat to medium, then cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes more.
- Return the chicken to the casserole. Pour over the tomatoes and stock, then stir through the preserved lemon, chutney, apricots and almonds. Season. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the thighs are cooked and the sauce is reduced and sticky. For the final 5 minutes, add the chickpeas. Scatter over the coriander and serve with couscous.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes with tinned beans
One-pot pancetta stew with butter beans and chorizo
Simmer chorizo, butter beans and pancetta in a chipotle-spiced tomato sauce to make this hearty...