One-pan roast chicken, beetroot and mascarpone
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30-35 min, oven time 35 min
The chicken in this all-in-one roast with beetroot and sweet potato is stuffed with mascarpone, garlic and lemon zest, creating wonderful pan juices. For extra vegetable points, sprinkle a handful of kale over the chicken for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 29.7g (14.5g saturated)
- 43.8g (27.8g sugars)
- 150g mascarpone
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- grated zest 1 lemon, juice 3 lemons
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 100ml dry white wine
- 2kg free-range chicken, jointed
- 500g beetroot, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- 400g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- olive oil for drizzling
- a bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped
- a bunch of fresh basil, leaves torn
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. In a medium bowl, combine the mascarpone, garlic and lemon zest and season well. In a separate small bowl, mix the lemon juice with the mustard, honey and wine.
- Make a small incision in the side of each chicken piece, stuff with the mascarpone filling, then put in a large roasting tray. Arrange the beetroot and sweet potatoes around the chicken pieces, then drizzle over the honey mixture and a glug of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is golden and cooked and the veg are tender-crisp. Scatter over the dill and basil, then serve with extra steamed green veg, if you like, with the pan juices poured over.
Joint the chicken up to 24 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brined roast chicken with a classic waldorf salad
Debbie Major’s summer roast recipe uses brined chicken – adding juiciness and flavour. Served alongside a...