Orange and Campari jellies with caramelised vanilla oranges
- March 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes about 45 minutes to make, plus overnight cooling and chilling
Our zingy cocktail-inspired dessert recipe for orange and Campari jellies makes a great dinner party pudding.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 0.1g (trace saturated)
- 98.2g (92.3g sugar)
- 225g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange, plus the juice of 2 oranges
- 8 sheets (about 16g) leaf gelatine
- 400ml tonic water
- 200ml Campari
For the caramelised vanilla oranges
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 4 oranges, peeled and pith removed
- Place 225ml water and the caster sugar in a wide pan over a medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then bring to the boil and cook for 4-5 minutes, until reduced and syrupy. Stir in the orange zest and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to soften. Strain the orange syrup into a large measuring jug, then stir in the orange juice, tonic water and Campari. You should have about 900ml – top up with more tonic water if necessary.
- Put the orange jelly mixture into a saucepan and bring to just below simmering point. Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine and stir into the hot liquid to dissolve. Strain back into the jug and divide between 6 x 150ml individual pudding moulds. Pop any bubbles from the surface, cool, cover and chill overnight to set.
- On the day, make the caramelised oranges. Place the sugar, 250ml water and vanilla pod and seeds in a frying pan over a low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, increase the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until syrupy and thickened. Slice the oranges into 2cm slices. Add to the saucepan and simmer gently for 4 minutes, carefully turning in the syrup halfway. Set aside to cool.
- To serve, dip each jelly mould in a bowl of hot water for about 5 seconds, then turn out onto serving plates. Serve with a few slices of the caramelised oranges, their syrup and whipped cream, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...