Orange crème caramel
- March 2005
- 150ml full-fat milk
- 300ml single cream
- Zest of 1 unwaxed orange, pared in 1 strip
- 180g caster sugar
- 4 organic free-range eggs
- Orange zest and angelica, to decorate (optional)
- Put the milk and cream into a pan and add the orange zest. Bring just to the boil, then set aside for 30 minutes to infuse.
- Meanwhile, put 150g sugar into a heavy-based pan with 2 tablespoons water and dissolve over a low heat. Continue cooking until it is a golden caramel colour. Divide between 6 x 125ml ramekins, tilting them to cover the bases. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/fan130ºC/gas 2. In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly with the remaining sugar. Strain the cream into the eggs, discarding the zest, and stir well. Pour the mixture into the ramekins, then place in a large roasting tray. Pour in hot water until halfway up the ramekins’ sides. Cook for 30-35 minutes, until firm but with a wobble. Cool, then chill for at least 3 hours.
- Loosen each crème caramel with a knife and invert onto a plate. Decorate with twists of orange zest and angelica.
Rate & review