Pan-fried bread and butter pudding
- January 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15-20 minutes
This pan-fried bread and butter pudding recipe is simple to make and is a quick alternative to the conventional dish.
- 16 slices medium white bread
- 175g butter, softened
- 100g mixed dried fruit
- 4 medium eggs
- 142ml carton double cream
- 150ml milk
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 50g caster sugar
- Cut out an 8cm circle from each slice of bread and spread with butter. Divide the dried fruit between 8 bread discs and sandwich with the remaining discs, buttered sides together. Press together well.
- Beat the eggs, cream, milk and vanilla together in a shallow bowl.
- Clarify the rest of the butter, by melting and pouring off the buttery liquid into a large non-stick frying pan, leaving the white solids behind. Put the frying pan over a medium heat.
- Dip the fruit ‘sandwiches’ into the egg mixture until well-soaked and evenly coated. Fry the sandwiches for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Drain on kitchen paper, then dip in the caster sugar and serve immediately.
Rate & review