Parsnip and carrot dhal
- December 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 20 min
Our twist on a traditional Indian dish includes seasonal parsnips and carrots. This vegetarian recipe only takes 40 minutes to prepare and is best served alongside warm flatbreads.
- 9.9g (1.4g saturated)
- 67.4g (17.9 sugars)
- 500g parsnips, diagonally sliced into even-sized chunks
- Olive oil for drizzling/frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 30g fresh ginger, grated
- 300g split red lentils
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 carrots, grated
- 100g young leaf spinach, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the parsnips on 1-2 large baking tray(s) and drizzle with oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat a glug of oil and add the onion. Fry over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the dry spiced and ginger, then fry for 2-3 minutes more, stirring regularly.
- Add the lentils, 800ml boiling water and the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- When the lentils are soft, stir in the grated carrots and the spinach, simmer for 5 minutes more, then season to taste and top with the crispy parsnips. Serve with flatbreads, yogurt and coriander, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...