Paul Ainsworth’s spiced sticky date pudding
- November 2016
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 35-40 min
Warming spice, gooey Cornish fudge and a sweet dates – Paul Ainsworth’s pudding recipe will become a new family favourite this winter.
How about a sticky toffee pudding cake for your next baking session?
- 25g (15.3g saturated)
- 64.6g (51.5g sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 175g soft dark brown sugar
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 175g stoned dates
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 250g good quality Cornish fudge, diced into tiny 3mm-size pieces
- Thick yogurt or crème fraîche to serve (optional)
For the sauce
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 140-150ml double cream
You’ll also need…
- 2 litre baking dish, greased
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the 50g butter and 175g sugar by hand, or with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between.
- Put 300ml water and the dates in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the bicarbonate of soda, then whizz to a purée using a stick blender or in a food processor.
- Mix the date purée into the pudding batter. Using a wooden spoon, gently fold in the flour and spices, then fold in half the fudge pieces. Pour the mixture into the dish and bake for 35-40 minutes. It should be just firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, put all the ingredients into a pan and heat gently until the sugar has completely dissolved, then simmer until it turns a golden colour – this will take about 8 minutes. Serve the sponge with the sauce poured over, scattered with the remaining fudge – with yogurt or crème fraîche, if you like.
Make the sponge (not the sauce) in advance and freeze for up to a month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Daim bar surprise pudding
Think self-saucing chocolate but oh-so much better – a spongey pudding cooked in a thick...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...