Pesto, mascarpone and tomato wheels
- January 2006
- Makes 28 wheels
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 18-20 minutes to bake, plus freezing and cooling
These pesto, mascarpone and tomato pastry wheels are quick and easy to make and can be made-ahead. They’re great vegetarian snacks for a party.
- 9.9g (3.1g saturated)
- 6.8g (0.3g sugar)
- 25g pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 50g fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 25g vegetarian Parmesan, grated
- 375g pack fresh ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, brought up to room temperature
- 125g mascarpone
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes (we like Merchant Gourmet), chopped
- Put the pine nuts into a blender with the garlic, basil leaves and oil. Whizz to a rough-textured pesto. Season with freshly ground black pepper, add the Parmesan and pulse briefly to combine. Set aside.
- Unroll the pastry and spread evenly with the mascarpone. Top with the sun-dried tomatoes and dot evenly with the pesto. Starting with 1 long edge, roll the pastry tightly like a Swiss roll. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Using a large serrated knife, slice the pastry into 28 thin rounds. Divide between 2 non-stick baking sheets, spaced slightly apart, and cover each tray with foil – this will stop the sun-dried tomatoes turning too dark in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and bake for 3-5 minutes more, until cooked, crisp and pale-golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Overlap the pastry wheels in a circle on a large, round serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Once cooked, you can freeze these for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature and reheat in the oven at 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 for 5 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cheese, chutney and chipolata pinwheels
Cheese, chutney and chipolatas are a great combination. Enjoy on toast for an easy lunch.
Theo Randall’s focaccia with pesto and vine tomatoes
This fluffy focaccia recipe, made with vine tomatoes and fresh pesto, is a staple in...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...