Mozzarella and pesto toasties
- October 2017
- Makes 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 5 min
The ultimate toasted sandwich, oozing with mozzarella and pesto and topped with crispy shards of parma ham. It’s a proper lazy Saturday lunch.
- 56g (22.5g saturated)
- 50.8g (3.4g sugars)
- 50g butter, softened
- 8 crusty white bread slices
- 125g ball mozzarella, sliced
- 125g hard (cooking) mozzarella, grated
- 10 parma ham slices
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
For the pesto
- Large bunch fresh basil leaves
- 30g toasted pine nuts
- 50g parmesan, cut into small pieces
- 3 glugs olive oil
- Juice ½ lemon
- To make the pesto, whizz all the pesto ingredients in a food processor (or use a mini chopper or a pestle and mortar) and season to taste.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Butter each slice of bread on one side, then put 4 slices on a board, butter-side down. Spread each with a thin layer of pesto, then top each with the mozzarella slices, grated mozzarella and parma ham (2 slices on each). Top with the remaining bread slices, butter-side up, pressing into a sandwich.
- Heat enough oil to cover the base of a large frying pan (or use a griddle pan). In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Carefully dip the sandwiches into the beaten egg, turning to coat both sides. Fry one sandwich at a time for 1 minute on each side until golden and the cheese has started to melt. Put each fried sandwich on a baking sheet while you fry the remaining sandwiches.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is oozing from between the bread. Add the remaining slices of parma ham to the same pan and fry for 3-4 minutes on a high heat until crisp. Serve the toasties with the remaining pesto, topped with shards of crispy ham.
The pesto is best fresh but can be made up to 72 hours in advance. Make sure it’s covered by a thin layer of olive oil and keep in a sealed container in the fridge. Use leftovers for pasta or with meat/fish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...