Tropical upside-down cake
- May 2015
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 1 hour
Turn any frown upside-down with this scrumptious recipe for tropical upside-down cake made with juicy pineapple and dessicated coconut.
See our similar easy pineapple upside-down cake.
- 18.9g (12g saturated)
- 31g (20.7g sugars)
For the pineapple topping
- 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 30g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- Small tin (about 227g) pineapple rings in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 4 glacé or maraschino cherries, halved
For the sponge
- 175g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 50g desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. To make the topping, mix the brown sugar and the 30g butter in a small bowl, then spread across the base of the tin with a spatula to cover (this will help the pineapple to caramelise).
- Place a pineapple ring in the centre of the tin. Slice the remaining rings into half-moons, then arrange around the centre ring, cut sides against the edge of the tin. Place a cherry, cut-side up, in the middle of each pineapple piece.
- For the sponge, put all the sponge ingredients in a large mixing bowl with 3 tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice. Beat with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Spoon the batter over the pineapples, then smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour or until the sponge is risen and golden, and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean (see tip). Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack, carefully peel off the baking paper and leave to cool completely. Serve with a cuppa.
This cake is best enjoyed, cooled, on the day it’s baked but it will keep for up to 48 hours, sealed in an airtight container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...