Tropical upside-down cake
- May 2015
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 1 hour
Turn any frown upside-down with this scrumptious recipe for tropical upside-down cake made with juicy pineapple and dessicated coconut.
See our similar easy pineapple upside-down cake.
- 18.9g (12g saturated)
- 31g (20.7g sugars)
For the pineapple topping
- 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 30g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- Small tin (about 227g) pineapple rings in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 4 glacé or maraschino cherries, halved
For the sponge
- 175g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 50g desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. To make the topping, mix the brown sugar and the 30g butter in a small bowl, then spread across the base of the tin with a spatula to cover (this will help the pineapple to caramelise).
- Place a pineapple ring in the centre of the tin. Slice the remaining rings into half-moons, then arrange around the centre ring, cut sides against the edge of the tin. Place a cherry, cut-side up, in the middle of each pineapple piece.
- For the sponge, put all the sponge ingredients in a large mixing bowl with 3 tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice. Beat with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Spoon the batter over the pineapples, then smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour or until the sponge is risen and golden, and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean (see tip). Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack, carefully peel off the baking paper and leave to cool completely. Serve with a cuppa.
This cake is best enjoyed, cooled, on the day it’s baked but it will keep for up to 48 hours, sealed in an airtight container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter