Sticky pineapple upside-down cake
- January 2018
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40-45 min
A pineapple upside-down cake should be sweet and sticky from the soft dark brown sugar and golden syrup. We’ve added rum and ginger for extra depth of flavour, turning this delightful cake into a proper pud.
- 18.9g (11.1g saturated)
- 46.5g (31.1g sugars)
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g dark soft brown sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 balls stem ginger in syrup, chopped, plus 3 tbsp of the syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, halved and cored, then cut into wedges about 2cm thick
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half lengthways
- Ready-made custard, warmed with a slug of rum, to serve (optional)
You’ll also need…
- 20cm square cake tin, fully lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas 4. Put the butter and sugar in a food processor and whizz until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and whizz to combine, then add the flour, ground spices, stem ginger (not the syrup) and milk and whizz until just combined. (If you don’t have a food processor, cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, then beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the flour, ground spices, stem ginger and milk.)
- Mix the stem ginger syrup, golden syrup and rum in a bowl. Put the pineapple wedges in a bowl, pour over half the syrup and toss (reserve the rest to serve). Arrange the pineapple in the prepared tin and spoon over any syrup left behind in the bowl. Tuck in the vanilla pod. Spoon the cake batter over the pineapple and smooth the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes until well risen and the cake feels springy to the touch.
- Leave the cake in its tin to cool for 5-10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate or platter. Drizzle over the remaining syrup and serve warm with rum custard, if you like, or cool to serve later.
If you don’t have a vanilla pod, stir 1 tsp vanilla bean paste into the syrup instead (step 2).
The cake will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Reheat portions in a microwave if serving warm.
Rate & review