Quick bubble and squeak cakes with ham
- January 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
Give leftover roast vegetables and roast potatoes a new lease of life in these bubble and squeak cakes – a great brunch recipe, ready in just 20 minutes.
- 3 cooked medium potatoes (about 325g)
- 325g cooked vegetables (such as parsnips, Brussels sprouts and carrots)
- 200g chopped cooked ham
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil, for frying
- Knob of butter
- Bag of wild rocket
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Lemon juice, to serve
- Put the cooked potatoes on a chopping board and break them up. Add the other cooked vegetables and chop it all up. Put into a bowl and add the ham, eggs and seasoning, and mix well. Divide into 4 and roughly shape into 4 cakes.
- Heat a splash of oil and the butter in a frying pan and fry the cakes for about 8-10 minutes, turning once, until golden and crispy.
- Divide a bag of rocket between 4 plates. Top each with a bubble and squeak cake and half an avocado. Drizzle with good olive oil and squeeze over some lemon juice to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Corn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream
These sweetcorn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream are perfect for...