Quick bubble and squeak cakes with ham
- January 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
Give leftover roast vegetables and roast potatoes a new lease of life in these bubble and squeak cakes – a great brunch recipe, ready in just 20 minutes.
- 3 cooked medium potatoes (about 325g)
- 325g cooked vegetables (such as parsnips, Brussels sprouts and carrots)
- 200g chopped cooked ham
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil, for frying
- Knob of butter
- Bag of wild rocket
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Lemon juice, to serve
- Put the cooked potatoes on a chopping board and break them up. Add the other cooked vegetables and chop it all up. Put into a bowl and add the ham, eggs and seasoning, and mix well. Divide into 4 and roughly shape into 4 cakes.
- Heat a splash of oil and the butter in a frying pan and fry the cakes for about 8-10 minutes, turning once, until golden and crispy.
- Divide a bag of rocket between 4 plates. Top each with a bubble and squeak cake and half an avocado. Drizzle with good olive oil and squeeze over some lemon juice to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Corn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream
These sweetcorn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter