Fennel and salami pizza
- August 2012
- Makes 1 pizza
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 12 minutes to cook
Got some fresh fennel? Then it’s great finely sliced over a salami-covered pizza – a bit of a different twist on your average, and ideal for when fennel is in season. Fennel seeds increase the flavour even more.
- 47.1g (18.9g saturated)
- 92.7g (5.3g sugars)
- Plain flour for dusting
- ½ quantity pizza dough
- 80g (5½ tbsp) passata
- 2 pinches of fennel seeds
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 8 slices fennel salami (or other salami if you can’t find fennel)
- 65g firm cooking mozzarella, chopped into cubes
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g fennel, finely sliced
- 10g rocket
- 10g grana padano, grated
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. To stretch the dough, start with plenty of flour on the work surface and slap the dough ball onto it. Flatten the dough using your hands and a gentle amount of pressure. Spread the dough with a rolling pin into a round shape until it is approximately 28cm wide. During cooking the dough expands slightly so make a rim around the edge to hold the filling, by lightly and evenly tapping the rim of the dough about 1cm from the edge. Dust off any surplus flour and place the dough on a lightly oiled pizza pan, a mesh pizza screen or a pizza stone.
- Spread the passata evenly over the base, leaving the raised edge uncovered, then sprinkle over fennel seeds and chilli flakes. Arrange the salami and scatter over the mozzarella evenly. Season with ground black pepper and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate the zest of the ½ lemon into a bowl. Squeeze the juice, add it to the zest with the extra-virgin olive oil, then stir well. Put the sliced fennel and the rocket in a separate bowl, add the lemon oil and zest, then toss until thoroughly coated.
- Once the pizza is cooked (it should be lightly browned and crisp around the edges and underneath), cut into slices, put on a plate and sprinkle with the grana padano. Scatter the lemony fennel and rocket salad over the pizza and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Caramelised onion chutney and goat’s cheese tortilla pizza
Using tortillas as pizza bases cuts down on time and saves a few calories –...