Quick lamb and chickpea casserole
- April 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, 40-45 min to cook
This quick lamb casserole recipe has the added boost of iron-rich chickpeas. It also freezes well.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 22.5g (6.7g saturated)
- 25g (8.2g sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 600g lamb leg steaks, cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp honey
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock, hot
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat half of the olive oil in a casserole over a low heat. Add the onion and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the casserole and increase the heat. Season the lamb chunks and fry them for 5-6 minutes until browned all over. Add the spices and fry for a few minutes, then return the onion to the pan, along with the lemon zest, honey, tomatoes, hot stock and chickpeas.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lamb is tender. Stir through the coriander and serve with couscous.
To freeze: make the casserole (but don’t add the coriander), then freeze in a freezer bag or plastic box for up to 3 months. Defrost, reheat, add the coriander and serve. To make this into soup, cut the lamb into smaller chunks, and add double the quantity of canned tomatoes and stock.
Rate & review