Ratatouille with fennel
- July 2013
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 30 mins to make, 1 hour to cook
Ratatouille is wonderful with grilled or roasted lamb or chicken. It also makes a superb supper on its own and freezes well.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.6g (1.2g saturated
- 9.6g (8.4g sugars)
For 10 servings
- 6-8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 aubergines (about 175g each) cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 large red peppers (about 175g each), cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 small fennel bulbs (about 300g each), trimmed, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1kg courgettes, thickly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 fat garlic cloves, sliced
- 400-500g skinned chopped tomatoes, fresh or from a can
- 500g tomato passata
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the aubergines for 4 minutes, turning, until golden. Lift onto a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside. Add 2 tbsp oil and the peppers, then fry for a few minutes until lightly spotted with brown. Set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil if needed, along with the fennel and courgettes, and fry for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and the onions to the pan and fry for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Return the fried vegetables to the pan with the tomatoes, passata and some seasoning. Part-cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring now and then, until all the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Stir in the dill, taste and season a bit more if needed.
Top with grated parmesan or cheddar, then grill until bubbling, or dot with a little pesto, or simmer with eggs until they’re lightly set. For a veggie lasagne, layer ratatouille with béchamel and lasagne sheets in a baking dish. Top with béchamel and torn mozzarella and season well, then bake for 35 minutes at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Aubergine rolls with pesto
A simple recipe of aubergine rolls with home-made pesto that’s delicious, impressive and suitable for...