Ratatouille with fennel
- July 2013
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 30 mins to make, 1 hour to cook
Ratatouille is wonderful with grilled or roasted lamb or chicken. It also makes a superb supper on its own and freezes well.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.6g (1.2g saturated
- 9.6g (8.4g sugars)
For 10 servings
- 6-8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 aubergines (about 175g each) cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 large red peppers (about 175g each), cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 small fennel bulbs (about 300g each), trimmed, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1kg courgettes, thickly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 fat garlic cloves, sliced
- 400-500g skinned chopped tomatoes, fresh or from a can
- 500g tomato passata
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the aubergines for 4 minutes, turning, until golden. Lift onto a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside. Add 2 tbsp oil and the peppers, then fry for a few minutes until lightly spotted with brown. Set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil if needed, along with the fennel and courgettes, and fry for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and the onions to the pan and fry for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Return the fried vegetables to the pan with the tomatoes, passata and some seasoning. Part-cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring now and then, until all the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Stir in the dill, taste and season a bit more if needed.
Top with grated parmesan or cheddar, then grill until bubbling, or dot with a little pesto, or simmer with eggs until they’re lightly set. For a veggie lasagne, layer ratatouille with béchamel and lasagne sheets in a baking dish. Top with béchamel and torn mozzarella and season well, then bake for 35 minutes at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spicy aubergines with pork chops & chimichurri sauce
Griddled pork goes head-to-head with smoky aubergine in this simple summery recipe.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...