Orecchiette with courgettes and hazelnut pesto
- June 2013
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
A 20-minute dish that combines crisp courgettes, hazelnut pesto and orecchiette pasta. It’s truly wonderful and the pesto makes extra so you can cook it all again later in the week!
- Vegetarian recipes
- 36.1g (6.2g saturated)
- 74.9g (5.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 baby courgettes or 4 medium, sliced into ½ cm rounds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 400g orecchiette (if you can’t get this particular pasta, try fusilli)
For the pesto
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- Large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 100g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), roughly grated, plus extra to serve
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 175g toasted hazelnuts
- To make the pesto, put all the ingredients into a food processor with some seasoning, then whizz until blended.
- Heat a frying pan with the olive oil and, when hot, add the courgette slices to the pan. Cook for a minute or so on each side until they’re golden and crisp. (Depending on how big your frying pan is, you may have to do this in batches.) Remove the slices with tongs and put in a sieve, then season well and squeeze over the lemon juice. Leave the courgettes in the sieve to soak up the lemon juice while some of the excess oil drains away.
- Meanwhile, cook the orecchiette in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente (about 7-8 minutes or according to the packet instructions), then drain and toss with the courgettes and a few tablespoons of the pesto. Serve with extra parmesan grated over.
This recipe makes more pesto than you’ll need. You can keep the excess for up to 2 weeks in a sealed container in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Lisa Faulkner’s sunshine prawn curry with feta flatbreads
For a flavoursome prawn curry, look no further than Celebrity MasterChef winner Lisa Faulkner’s spicy...