- 400g rhubarb, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 large red eating apple (or 2 small), cut into chunks
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
For the amaretti topping
- 110g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter, cubed
- 50g amaretti biscuits, crumbled
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Put the rhubarb, apple, maple syrup, demerara sugar, orange zest, cinnamon stick and vanilla in a wide pan and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, rub together the plain flour and butter with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the amaretti and the light muscovado sugar.
- Divide the rhubarb mixture among 4 ramekins or ovenproof dishes (about 200ml). Top evenly with the crumble mixture, then bake for 15 minutes or until the fruit is juicy and bubbling and the top is golden. Before serving, sprinkle over extra demerara sugar for crunch.
- If you like, make this in an ovenproof dish instead of making individual crumbles. Skip step 1 and toss the fruit, sugar, syrup and flavourings in the baking dish instead, swapping the cinnamon stick for ½ tsp ground cinnamon. Cover with the topping, then bake at 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5 for 30 minutes.