Rice and peas
- June 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 20 mins cooking time
Rice and peas is a very well-known Jamaican recipe. In Jamaica, ‘peas’ is used to describe red kidney beans.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 2 spring onions, trimmed (ends and tops removed)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g long grain rice
- 400ml coconut milk
- Fresh coriander, chopped, to serve (optional)
- Cut the spring onions into thin slices. Place the onions in a saucepan with the crushed garlic, thyme, kidney beans and rice. Add the coconut milk, then fill the empty can with water and add that to the pan, too. Bring up to the boil, lower the heat so that the rice is gently simmering (you will just see small bubbles in the water), put the lid on and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Carefully taste the rice to see if it is cooked. The coconut milk and water should have been absorbed by the rice.
- Season the rice with a little freshly ground black pepper and a sprig of thyme, or you can serve it sprinkled with some chopped fresh coriander, if you like.
If you like freshly chopped coriander, you can sprinkle some over the rice once it is cooked.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jerk chicken with coconut rice and peas and pineapple salsa
We’ve made this Jamaican favourite a little bit more special with a fabulous homemade jerk...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...