How to make the perfect rice
Feeling the frustration when it comes to rice? Fret not, these simple steps will ensure your rice is fluffy and perfectly cooked every time.
- Rinse the rice well in 4-5 changes of water to wash off the starch. It’s ready to cook when the water stays pretty clear when you agitate the rice.
- Put the rice in a saucepan and fill with fresh cold water to a (clean!) fingernail’s height above the level of the rice. Add a sprinkle of salt.
- Bring the rice to a simmer, cook for 1 minute, then cover with a tight-fitting lid, remove from the heat and leave to steam for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, there should be no water left to drain off. Fluff the rice through with a fork and serve.
- Keep rinsing until the water stays clear.
- Once the rice is bubbling, don’t stir it.
- Don’t peek until the full amount of cooking time is up.
- Lifting the lid lets out the steam and stops it cooking.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...