How to make the perfect rice
Feeling the frustration when it comes to rice? Fret not, these simple steps will ensure your rice is fluffy and perfectly cooked every time.
- Rinse the rice well in 4-5 changes of water to wash off the starch. It’s ready to cook when the water stays pretty clear when you agitate the rice.
- Put the rice in a saucepan and fill with fresh cold water to a (clean!) fingernail’s height above the level of the rice. Add a sprinkle of salt.
- Bring the rice to a simmer, cook for 1 minute, then cover with a tight-fitting lid, remove from the heat and leave to steam for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, there should be no water left to drain off. Fluff the rice through with a fork and serve.
- Keep rinsing until the water stays clear.
- Once the rice is bubbling, don’t stir it.
- Don’t peek until the full amount of cooking time is up.
- Lifting the lid lets out the steam and stops it cooking.
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter