Rich beef ragù
- March 2007
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 200g pancetta, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 1kg beef chuck steak, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- Good pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 150ml red wine
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml fresh beef stock, hot
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 200ml boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid. Chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a casserole over a medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, pancetta, garlic and rosemary and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to high and brown the steak for 5 minutes. Stir in the purée and chilli and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine, mushroom liquid, tomatoes, stock and porcini. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer over a very low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...