Roast chicken Caesar salad
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 1 hour 35 minutes to cook
Turn a typical chicken Caesar salad into something really special by adding juicy roast chicken.
- 32.5g (9g saturated)
- 21g (2.4g sugar)
- Large, 1.7kg free-range chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 6 smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 3 thick slices white bread or a small ciabatta loaf, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 romaine lettuce, roughly torn into pieces
- Handful rocket leaves
- 4 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g Parmesan or Grana Padano, roughly grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Place the chicken in a large roasting tin, rub the oil all over it and sprinkle with a little sea salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Squeeze over the juice of 2 of the lemon wedges and roast for 1¼ hours.
- Add the bacon to the roasting tin and cook for a further 10 minutes until the bacon is crisp and the chicken is cooked and golden.
- Remove the chicken and bacon from the tin and set aside on a board. Add the bread to the roasting tin and toss well with the pan juices. Roast for 8-10 minutes until golden.
- Roughly chop the bacon, together with the chicken leg and thigh meat, into pieces (reserve the chicken breasts for the soup, overleaf). Place the cos lettuce and rocket in 4 serving bowls, then top with the chicken, bacon and croutons.
- Whizz the anchovies, garlic and Dijon in a small food processor until mixed. Pour in the extra-virgin olive oil and squeeze in the juice from the remaining lemon wedges. Toss the dressing through the salad and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan.
If you cook a whole chicken to make the chicken Caesar salad, you can make the roast chicken and summer vegetable soup as well. If you just want to make the salad, roast 6 chicken thighs, slashed, in the same way, for 15-20 minutes. For a creamy blue cheese dressing, swap the anchovy fillets for a little Dolcelatte.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Proper chicken caesar salad
The combination of chicken, bacon, garlicky dressing and chunky sourdough croutons in this proper caesar...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...