Lighter Caesar salad
- September 2015
- 4 medium free-range eggs (unpeeled), plus 2 extra yolks
- 3 free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 slices rye bread
- 3 slices parma ham
- 150g fat-free Greek yogurt
- 3 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 large garlic clove
- Finely grated zest and juice 11⁄2 lemons
- 1 cucumber, roughly chopped
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 4 little gem lettuces, leaves separated and torn
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the whole eggs and boil for 6 minutes, then drain and run under cold water until cool. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Put the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin. Discard the cling film. Heat a large non-stick griddle pan to high. Rub the 1 tbsp olive oil over the chicken, then griddle for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Put on a chopping board and cut into strips (keep the pan hot).
- Brush the rye bread with a little more oil, then put into the griddle pan. Toast for a few minutes, turning once, until golden and crisp. Tear into pieces, then put into a bowl and season. Brush the parma ham slices with a little oil, then griddle for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp. Remove to a plate to firm up, then break into shards.
- In a food processor (or using an electric mixer), whizz the yogurt, egg yolks, anchovies, garlic, and lemon zest and juice. Season to taste.
- Toss the cucumber, celery and lettuce on a serving platter. Scatter with the croutons, ham shards and chicken strips. Quarter the boiled eggs, then add them to the salad. Drizzle over the dressing, then serve immediately.
Make the caesar dressing up to 3 days in advance and keep in a sealed container in the fridge
We’ve concocted a lighter dressing, using fat-free yogurt to cut calories but still deliver creaminess. Instead of bacon, we’ve used crisp-cooked parma ham for flavour and crunch but less fat. Finally, our croutons are made from rye bread, providing crunch and fibre.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick chicken recipes
Quick lentil, chicken, spring greens and broccoli soup
A soup recipe that’s anything but boring – this quick shortcut supper is bursting with...