Roasted beetroot, orange and goat’s cheese salad
- December 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 45-60 minutes to cook
This cumin-roasted beetroot salad recipe adds colour and freshness to any Christmas spread.
- 35.1g (9.7g saturated)
- 13g (12.9g sugars)
- 500g bunch of small beetroot
- 2 small oranges
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 25g shelled hazelnuts
- 75g mixed winter leaves (such as watercress, baby beet, rocket and spinach)
- 75g rindless soft goat’s cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Trim the stalks from the beetroot, peel (use gloves) and cut into bite-size wedges. Put them into a small roasting tin. Finely grate the zest from half of 1 orange, then squeeze out the juice, reserving both separately.
- Whisk the vinegar and honey, then gradually whisk in the olive oil and some seasoning. Divide the mixture between 2 smaller bowls.
- Whisk the mustard into one bowl and set aside. Whisk the cumin seeds, orange zest and 1 tbsp of the orange juice into the other. Pour this over the beetroot and toss together well. Cover the tray tightly with foil and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender. Toast the hazelnuts in a dish alongside the beetroot for 8 minutes until golden. Remove both when done and leave to cool.
- Take a thin slice off the top and bottom of the remaining orange, then cut away all the skin and pith. Slice either side of each segment, close to the dividing membranes, and drop them into a bowl.
- When ready to serve, arrange the leaves, beetroot and orange segments on each plate. Crumble the goat’s cheese and tuck the pieces in among the leaves. Drizzle over the mustard dressing and scatter over the toasted hazelnuts.
There will be more roasted beetroot than you need for the salad, but it’s wonderful served with cold turkey, ham and Cheddar.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipes
Baked camembert with honey, granola and rye crackers
This isn’t your run-of-the-mill baked camembert recipe. We’ve combined an oozy baked cheese with the...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...