Rum butter mincemeat and pecan crumble slices
- November 2018
- Makes 15-20 squares
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 50 min, plus cooling
Rum butter, mincemeat and a classic crumble topping combine in this too-good-to-say-no-to traybake. It makes a scrumptious teatime treat during the festive period and is great for using up any leftover Christmas ingredients .
- 16.3g (7.5g saturated)
- 38.4g (23.4g sugars)
- 275g plain flour
- 120g fine semolina
- 120g golden caster sugar, plus 2½ tbsp
- 275g chilled butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- ¾ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 550g spiced rum butter mincemeat
- 100g shelled pecans, coarsely chopped
- Icing sugar and ground cinnamon for dusting
You’ll also need…
- 20 x 30cm shallow rectangular tin or brownie tin, greased and lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/ gas 3. Put the flour, semolina and 120g of the golden caster sugar in the bowl of a food processor, add the butter and vanilla paste and process briefly until the mixture just begins to stick together into pea-sized lumps (or put in a large bowl and rub together with your fingertips).
- Tip half the mixture into the tin and, using the back of a metal spoon, press to make an even layer.
- Spoon over the mincemeat, then smooth again to make an even layer. Stir the pecans and the remaining 2½ tbsp sugar into the remaining mixture, then sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin, then cut into to 15-20 squares (see Make Ahead).
Arrange the squares, side by side, in a large plastic box with a lid, putting a folded sheet of non-stick baking paper between the layers. Cover and freeze for 1 month. Thaw in the box at room temperature, then refresh on a baking tray in a hot oven for 5-6 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and cinnamon, then serve warm or at room temperature. Defrosted squares will keep in an airtight tin for 2-3 days.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter