Russian-style chicken and egg pie with rye crumbs
- May 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 15-20 min
A creamy chicken and soured cream filling is topped with a crunchy rye crumble, instead of pastry, for a healthier spin on a comforting pie recipe.
Check out our lighter chicken and bacon pie too for more healthy comfort food inspiration.
- 25g (10g saturated)
- 39.9g (7.9g sugars)
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 30g unsalted butter
- 500g free-range skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 30g plain flour, seasoned with salt/pepper
- 500ml milk
- 60g cornichons, sliced
- 150ml soured cream
- 2 handfuls chopped fresh herbs (dill or a mixture of dill and parsley)
- 300g (about 4 slices) rye sourdough bread or rye bread, toasted
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Dressed watercress to serve
You’ll also need…
- 1.5 litre shallow flameproof casserole
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil, add the eggs, bring to a steady simmer and cook for 6½ minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water, then peel.
- Melt the butter in the casserole over a medium heat. Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour, then brown for 2-3 minutes on each side, working in batches.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Return all the browned chicken to the casserole and gradually pour over the milk, mixing well to prevent any lumps forming. Bring to a fast simmer, stirring until smooth and thickened. Stir in the cornichons and soured cream, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, then add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, whizz the toasted bread in a food processor until finely chopped (or chop as finely as possible), then mix the oil into the breadcrumbs. Halve the eggs, then add to the casserole with the chicken and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve with dressed watercress.
Rate & review